It’s normal for us to have conflict if we live with other humans. What shouldn’t be normal is having habits of unhealthy responses. In this episode, we discuss some of the reasons for conflict and some steps to resolving those conflicts.
Here’s an overview of the steps we discuss:
- Identify the Source. Some common culprits are false concepts, bitterness, high expectation of others, low expectation of self, and outside distractions.
- Own your part. Use “I” rather than “You” language. Don’t allow a blame culture.
- Set healthy, relational, and realistic goals
- Set up a meeting to address the problems
- Encourage forgiveness
- Identify what we can agree on and best next steps.
Realize this is a process and a cycle. Get comfortable resolving conflict. One resource we talk about in this episode is Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends by Sarah, Stephen, and Grace Mally. Check out their book or Is That Normal? Episode 72 where we review their book. Be Abnormal!