In this episode, we review Vicki Courtney’s book Five Conversations You Must Have with Your Daughter. This great resource covers some of the tough but necessary conversations we must have with the young women in our families.
Here are those conversations:
- Don’t let culture define you. We must help our daughters define beauty from God’s standards.
- Guard your heart. We must help our daughters discern which voices should shape their views, thoughts and beliefs. Parents need to be good listeners and provide a safe place as we help them reflect these issues.
- Respect you body and your sexuality. We need to be committed to having age-appropriate conversations with our daughters about the issues surrounding sex. (Check out our Episode 71 – Let’s Talk about Sex for more thoughts on this conversation.)
- Realize childhood is only for a season. We need to help our daughters imagine a healthy adult future for themselves.
- Know that you are who you have been becoming. We need to help our daughters take inventory of where they are on their path so they can continue heading to the future that God wants for them. Proverbs 31 is a good tool to use in these times of reflection.
We encourage you to start and/or continue these conversations with your daughters. Until next time, Be Abnormal!