In this episode we talk about the environment and practices that help foster close relationships between siblings. We used ideas and inspiration from Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends by Sarah, Stephen, and Grace Mally. We really recommend this resource as a read-together book for your family.
Here are some of the ideas we shared on how to help our children have close relationships with their siblings:
- Challenge Attitudes. It is not common or encouraged to be close to your family or your siblings, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t best.
- Create Shared Experiences. It is those with whom we share common history that often are those that most connect with us throughout life.
- Have Mandatory Planned Family Times. Family Devotions. (Check out Episode 4 for some ideas). Shared Chores. Game Nights.
- Model Friendship in your marriage and family relationships.
Some barriers to overcome are:
- False Concepts
- High Expectation of Family Members/Low Expectation of Self
We know this process is not easy and will never be perfect – even best friends tend to fight! But we encourage you to do the hard and consistent hard work of fostering close relationships in your household.