We are so glad you are checking out our notes page for this EPISODE. If you are new to our podcast, we encourage you to go back and listen to EPISODE 1 – RAISING ABNORMAL KIDS and EPISODE 2 – The Best Youth Leaders….PARENTS where we unpack our heart and vision.
As we try to help and resource parents, we also want you to know that you are not alone, even in those really tough days. Here’s some of our thoughts on what to do when you have one of those days:
- KEEP YOUR COOL. Look for a way to take a breath, calm down, and not make a bigger mess than you already have on your hands.
- OWN YOUR PART. We always have to model as well as set the tone of humility by admitting any fault on our part first.
- HOLD THEM ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR PART. We must be willing to hold our children accountable for their actions and allow natural consequences.
- MOVE TOWARDS RESOLUTION AND RESTORATION. We must always remember the goal is to move towards a healthy place and better choices.
- LAUGH IF APPROPRIATE. Sometimes the best thing to do is to de-escalate.
- OFFER AND ENCOURAGE GRACE WHEN THEY ARE READY. While it may not be today, eventually we must help them get to a place of grace and forgiveness.
Join us next week as we talk about helping our children fall in love with the Bible! Until then, Be Abnormal!